Check out this weekend's top matches including an FA Cup Semi, Rafa's return to Anfield, and other top matches in Bundesliga, Serie A, NASL, and MLS.
Saturday April 23
- 930 - Bundesliga - Hertha Berlin v Bayern Munich - Fox Sports 2/Deportes/2Go
- A decently tough away trip to Bundesliga's fourth place side for the Bavarians. A win here and a loss for Dortmund, who play at the same time, would see Bayern clinch their fourth title in a row. Hertha are in a bit of funk, winless in three, but should be up for it against the champions.
- 1000 - EPL - Liverpool v Newcastle United - NBCSN
- picked this one because it will Rafa Benitez's return to Anfield, where he should receive a rousing ovation. He's still fondly remembered for the golden period he brought Liverpool with their UCL win in 2005 and his sacking is seen as the start of troubled times. Newcastle desperately need results to stay in the league, especially with Big Sam's Sunderland having a game in hand, and getting a draw (which was an incorrect offside call from being a win) against City will give them a huge boost of confidence.
- 1215 - FA Cup Semi - Everton v Manchester United - Fox Sports 2/Deportes/2Go
- Everton and Roberto Martinez are currently in a terrible place, safe in the league but in the midst of an injury crisis and having just suffered a 4-nil humiliation in the Derby. The Toffees do seem to play better in the cup, not letting in a single goal this season. Being at Wembley and looking to bounce back, Everton should do better but United are in good form, winning five out of their last six.
- 1600 - MLS - Montreal Impact v Toronto FC - MLS Live
- The Two Solitudes Derby (a reference to something Canadian) or the 401 Derby comes at a time when both sides are some of the best in the East (which isn't saying much). This one will be billed as Drogba vs Giovinco but the player in the best form is Montreal's no 10 Piatti, who has 4 goals and an assist in six matches. Montreal at home with Drogba and Piatti will be tough for Toronto to overcome.
- 2000 - NASL - Minnesota United v New York Cosmos - ESPN 3
- The teams in second and third in NASL meet in Minnesota where the home side having beaten their last two opponents by a combined 5-nil. Cosmos comfortably won both of their first matches and were winning in Indy into final injury time only to be denied by a penalty and a second goal from Eleven's Zayed.
Sunday April 24
- 1445 - Serie A - Fiorentina v Juventus - beIN Sports
- When these two sides met earlier in the season, Juve were in the middle of charging up the table while Fiorentina were securely in second place. The 3-1 win for The Old Lady signaled their title ambitions and started the fall of la Viola to their current fifth place. Juve can't win it outright this weekend but a win and anything other than a win by Napoli on Monday will see them Champions for the fifth season in a row.
Let me know what you think!